Tuesday 5 August 2008

The Dark Knight...

So I went to see The Dark Knight last night, a mixture of apprehension and excitement. I was really worried that my expectations were going to be too high. I really wanted Heath Ledger to live up to the hype, I'd seen clips, he'd scared me silly, so I was hoping that he would do the same but more in the actual film.

The answer: Yes, yes he did, by the bucket load. He was incredible, when my friend and I left the cinema we were actually lost for words on how to express our opinion, it was done through knowing looks, nods and grunts.


But anyway, this post isn't really about the film - I'm just going to assume that you are going to watch it as it is incredible. The main point of this post is about the couple sitting next to me, who if I said were slightly annoying, it would be a very big under statement.

Now, I don't mind people coming to sit next to you when there are no other spaces available, and I'm all for people sitting the same row, especially as my friend and I were on one of the best rows. But, I've always done this and I'm sure most people do it as well, if there is room for such a thing I like to leave one seat in between me and another group of people. It just gives a little extra bit of personal space and room for shifting about if you get a bit uncomfortable.

However, it seems that this couple don't really follow that and sat directly next to me, now I'm not a social recluse who shrivels up at any contact with a stranger, but it would have been a bit nicer if they left one seat, considering we were the only 4 on the row. Even more so due to the next few reasons:

After the initial, 'great' *rolls eyes* moment of them sitting next to me, I hear a little rustling and then a strange movement that I'm not accustomed to in the cinema. They had brought ice creams in. Twisters to be exact. My friend and I had a big laughing and high pitched squealing session about this on the way home, I seriously do not know anyone who brings ice creams into the cinema?!?! I would have thought it was highly impractical as you don't really know where it is going to drip! So that was my first moment of, oh no..... (although to be fair they smelt really nice - the ice-creams now, not the people! They had a non-odour really)

Secondly, and most annoyingly, they committed the one thing that I HATE the most. They whispered to each other questions about the film, all the way through the film. It was just annoying, I'm all for people wanting to discuss the film, but please do it after it has finished, or when you watch the DVD in the privacy of your own home. If you are confused about something, don't turn to your boyfriend and ask him questions about what is going to happen, when he doesn't know either! Just sit and watch, then it will become clear.

Now this whispering elevated to exclamations of what was going to happen. Everyone in the cinema was thinking it, as it was pretty obvious, but you build up your own suspense in your head you don't say things aloud such as 'The Driver!' when the whole cinema is quiet. Nooooo, oh really? I never would have guessed, thanks for pointing that out to me, just bloody wonderful.

The main point that caused me a lot of rolled eyes moment is this: Now I don't think I'm giving too much away here when saying that there is a scene when The Joker has his head out of a car window and has the the wind blowing through his hair. At this point he does look really quite manic (not that he doesn't in the rest of the film), but to top everything off the girl next to me whispers 'He's crazy!'. Well done my darling, well done, you've just got that The Joker is a little bit off his rocker *claps*, really intuiative. Now I'm all for people getting freaked out by him, it's the point, but please, please, try and keep it in with your inner voice rather than making it audible. Little sounds and gasps are fine but full blown statements are best left to when you are watching the film on your own, don't you think?

Anyway, sorry about that I just had to have a little rant - haven't done so in a while. So all in all, go see the film and if someone starts whispering just go behind them, lean in, and say 'Why so serious hmm?', in your best joker voice - that might freak them out of whispering.

No comments: